Mrs. Anabel Rodriguez
It’s my pleasure as Principal to welcome you to St. Michael’s School! The 2019-2020 school year is my seventh year as Principal and my 19th year at St. Michael’s. Founded in 1903, St. Michael’s is a small school with a family atmosphere and rich Catholic traditions. Our school is a safe oasis for children where we nurture their love of learning and their Catholic faith. We have a dedicated group of educators and staff who look forward to working with families to provide a well-rounded foundation for student success. At St. Michael’s, we believe in developing a child’s mind, body, and spirit.
Our school is departmentalized from second through eighth grade. This means that students rotate during their day to different classrooms where teachers specialize in teaching one or two core subjects. Some of the benefits of departmentalization include: teachers teach the subjects they are passionate about, students have the same teachers for multiple years which allows teachers to learn each child’s strengths and challenges and how to best help him/her, and teachers can delve more deeply into content.
We are committed to preparing students with the skills necessary to be successful in the 21st century. This results in individuals who are responsible, life-long learners, effective communicators, and problem solvers. To that end, we strive to provide many learning opportunities inside and outside of the classroom.
For 2019-2020, we are pleased to provide these programs and activities:
- English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies using the Blended Learning Rotational Model and supported by online educational programs used on in-class devices
- Religion classes in all grades
- Departmentalized structure in grades 2-8 to increase student learning
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) project-based learning
- Coding Classes in grades 1-8
- Robotics in grades 3-8
- Comprehensive vocal and instrumental music through our partner, Education Through Music–L.A.
- Physical Education classes twice a week
- Art Trek art classes
- Title I Reading and Math Intervention during school
- Junior Achievement, a financial literacy program
- Counseling and art therapy
- Numerous free and low-cost extracurricular activities (sports, tutoring, choir, academic decathlon, dance, student council, etc.)
- Low-cost afterschool Daycare with homework help
- Free afterschool intervention program to support students who need extra help in Math and Reading
- Parent classes (PIQE and Power My Learning)
Thank you for sending your child to St. Michael’s, we appreciate your commitment to your child’s education and the sacrifices you are making to send your child here. Our staff is committed to helping your child learn and grow in this nurturing and faith-filled school.
God bless you and your family,